Wednesday, July 15, 2009

All God’s children get weary when they roam...

Tonight, as this is published, I'm packing one suitcase, or two if you count my laptop. Sal and I head out in the morning, at the tail end of the morning rush, to Cincinnati for a few days. I have homework to do, and I have wi-fi where I'm staying, so I'll be getting caught up with PHP and MySQL, as well as making notes of the journey.

Milford always looks different each time I go back. But if I look hard enough, I can see that places where I used to roam, as they were when I was a young man. I never imagined that the bulk of my adult life would be spent here in DC. But we are all wanderers on this earth, keeping eyes front, so that "after this, our Exile," we may arrive at the door of our heart's true home.

It's also an occasion for Sal to see "the real America." Come Friday morning, she will visit her first real county fair. On Saturday evening, there will be a gigantic reunion at my cousin's farm east of the city, where she will get to meet the bulk of my mother's side of the family. I have over forty maternal cousins. With their children and grandchildren, it should be quite a goings-on. Somewhere in between, we'll visit my immediate family, and maybe some friends of mine. The minimum I require for a trip home is four days; two days on the road, and two days there. I'm not crazy about so short a trip, but I had class today, and I've got it again on Monday. Never did like going to school in the summer.

Meanwhile, here's a clip of Joe South on The Johnny Cash Show in 1970. I hear the highway callin.'

And if the good Lord’s willin’ and the creeks don’t rise
By tomorrow I'll be right there.

.

No comments: