Saturday, July 25, 2009

Yes You Can!

My maternal grandmother graduated from the teachers college at Miami University of Ohio -- back then they were known as "normal schools" -- and I nearly went there myself. Today I read an inspirational story in The New York Times:

Because I was from a single parent, money was the decisive factor in choice of college. I attended Miami University because it offered me the most. This was my first time in both an affluent environment and living on my own. I didn’t fit in. I was too country, too blunt, too poor and too black...

This young woman has gone on to found a support system for other women of color like herself. This week's Tip of the Black Hat comes in just under the wire for Tierionna Morris. I will remember her in my prayers at Mass tomorrow.
.

No comments: