Monday, March 12, 2012

Three Things You’d Never Guess About ... Moi

I just got a text from a friend of mine. She's with her sponsor at RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, the catechumate process in the Roman church), and can't get away. Sounds reasonable to me.

But did you know that I have never, EVER been asked to serve as someone's sponsor for RCIA?

Geez, I can talk about religion at a party and people think I have a masters in theology or something. (Are you kidding? I work for a living.) Famous people get on national television and mistake me for a deacon. (It's not my fault. Really.) It boggles the mind.

There's more. I've never been asked to be an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion.

Wait, I take that back. I was made one once, twenty years ago at the parish in Georgetown where I was a sacristan. It was mostly to coincide with my regular duties, as I was not expected to actually be one. Occasionally I'd get asked to do so provisionally -- like I always say, never argue with an archbishop from out of town when you're his emcee -- as in just for the occasion. Not that I'm chomping at the bit for a task which I believe should be practically eliminated anyway. (So does Rome, but no one's listening.)

Okay, that's two things. There is also a third, but not even I can guess what it is.

UPDATE: Oh wait, I remember now. I've never been asked to serve on ... (click here)
 

No comments: