Thursday, March 17, 2005

Obligatory Saint Paddy's Day Stuff

I was in school this morning, so not much to write today. And frankly, I did a pretty bang-up job last year:
"Growing up in a postwar Catholic environment, we were told that there were two kinds of people; those who were Irish, and those who wish they were. There were even Irish nuns who favored the Irish kids, and weren't above calling some miscreant a 'jackass.' Of course, my family fell into neither category, and I came to dismiss the whole notion of St Paddy's Day -- indeed, the whole notion of being Irish -- as an excuse for obnoxious pretense... Then a few years ago, I was interviewed for a writing job by a priest who edited a major Catholic periodical. A native of Dublin, he reminded me of what really mattered: 'Patrick was not Irish, and on his Feast Day, we do not celebrate being Irish; we celebrate being Catholic...'"
Besides, how can I top the Irish-American patriot and fellow St Blog's parishioner Mark Sullivan, who gives us a fitting tribute at Irish Elk?

For those who want to join the action, msn dot com provides a listing of various cities in the USA, where this feast can be celebrated with suitable vigor. Washington DC is not one of them, which is unremarkable; Cincinnati is not on the list either, which is inexcusable.

We will close with my own tribute:
"'Twas an evening in October, I'll confess I wasn't sober,
   I was carting home a load with manly pride,
When my feet began to stutter and I fell into the gutter,
   And a pig came up and lay down by my side.
Then I lay there in the gutter and my heart was all a-flutter,
   Till a lady, passing by, did chance to say:
'You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,'
   Then the pig got up and slowly walked away."
Now... back to work!!!

No comments: