Monday, March 07, 2005

Monday: Ad Random

We went to see Schultze Gets The Blues on Friday night. We fell asleep halfway through the movie, and woke up during the credits. I'm going to be sure to get the DVD, so I can see it while I'm awake. Since it's a subject in which I'm interested, I can at least enjoy the commentary on making the movie.

Saturday night we went to Cecilia's for Latin dancing. Sal has been bugging me to go to Zanzibar's for months now, but... well, let's just say I like the parking in South Arlington better. Besides, with all the press in DC about Latino gang activity, I can honestly say I have yet to meet a Latino dude who wasn't a perfect gentleman -- including Salvadorans, and they've been getting the worst of the rap.

Yesterday, we went to Mass at the Cathedral of St Thomas More. Depending on where I move later this year, that could end up being my parish. The Mass is conducted reverently without being stodgy about it, and the acolytes actually know what the hell they're doing.

And somewhere in between, I kept trying to fix my current website project. Those who do code for the web know that developments in standardization and sophistication have accelerated in the last two or three years. Try going to a class and being told at the beginning of each new term, that what you learned last term will be obsolete before the end of this term. Worse than that, try teaching that class.

That's why I'm glad Jeffrey Zeldman came out with a book entitled Designing With Web Standards. It's the least someone could do to give the rest of us fair warning:
"You code. And code. And code. You build only to rebuild. You focus on the making your site compatible with almost every browser or wireless device ever put out there. Then along comes a new device or a new browser, and you start all over again."
Actually, you don't have to wait until that happens. Just build your site in a Windows environment, then open it up with the same d@#n browser on a Mac platform.

(Can I get an "Amen???" SOMEBODY!!!!!)

Some of you geeks out there know what I'm talking about. I'll just put it on the front shelf, for a wee bit o' light readin' during spring break.

No comments: