Monday, March 07, 2005

Non-Anon

The issue of anonymous weblogging has come up in the press recently. A Delta Air Lines employee was fired after posting a photo of herself in her flight attendant uniform -- post wardrobe malfunction. Even though all this was done on her own time, and on her own computer, the thought that getting her employer involved in her personal business could pose some difficulty for them failed to occur to her.

Don Jim of Dappled Things has brought our attention to Laudator Temporis Acti, and his defense of anonymous weblogging.

Now, it's no secret that I'm an employee of the Federal government, with my duty station in what is politely referred to as "the Nation's capital." But you'll notice I have never mentioned who my employer is, even though I make no secret of it. The way I see it, when a man puts food on my table and a roof over my head, the least I can do is show him enough loyalty not to reflect poorly upon him through my public conduct. In addition, he does not interfere with my personal life, and I don't involve him in it on my own volition. In return, when the weekend's over, he has my job waiting for me when I return.

Ask me privately who I work for, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Do a search of my weblog, however, and you won't see my employer mentioned.

Not even once.

No comments: