Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Obligatory Mardi Gras Moment

The "official" Mardi Gras flag has the "official" colors of purple (justice), gold (power), and green (faith). They were said to have been chosen by the Russian Grand Duke Alexis Romanoff, when he visited New Orleans in 1872. I also read once that they were the royal colors of the Bourbon family, still the rightful heirs to the French throne (depending on who you ask).

I've spent part of the day -- when not trying to get the attention of someone who needs something right away, but just can't understand what the holdup is and doesn't have time to be told -- listening to Keith Frank, who retired from touring about a year ago, probably to spend time with his family, the one he used to take out on the road. (Obviously that wasn't enough.) I've thought about making pancakes tonight, but by the time I get home, I'm pretty lazy. If you're not, you can try this recipe from catholiccuisine.blogspot.com ...

3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted

... which includes butter and eggs, both traditionally considered dairy products (which includes eggs for some reason), and so traditionally abstained from during Lent (and still are in the Eastern churches).

I won't be staying out late tonight. There's dancing, to be sure, but "Sal" is working an evening shift, and I quit going to dances alone. I actually wore Mardi Gras beads to the office today, in the hopes that they would put me in a better mood. Didn't work. Maybe next year.

Right now, I'm thinking about IHOP for dinner ...
 

No comments: