Friday, June 28, 2002

"A nice enough chap..."

Mark Shea has written this commentary, concerning my involvement with a Boston-based group known as Voice of the Faithful. This was in response to someone (and I know who you are), accusing me of all manner of apostasy and deception.

Guilt by association can be a nasty business. So is what I would call guerrilla apologetics. The latter requires meeting the adversary where they are. One may risk drawing the wrong kind of attention, as did Our Lord when He dined with tax-collectors and the like. In the face of it all, Mr Shea has brought up a very good point: "[I]nstead of instantly writing off David Alexander (are you sure the guy at this blog is the same as the one in DC?) and declaring him an Enemy Mole, it might be a good idea to, oh, I don't know, talk to him?"

Good call, Mark. Or better yet, one might go out on a limb, and visit the VOTF Message Board, to see what a pain-in-the-ass I have been to any wanna-be reformers. Before lighting the fire at the stake where I am currently tied, kindly read my two essays, Whose Voice? Which Faithful?? What Vision???, and Quo Vadis?, both of which have been sent directly to the officers of the VOTF.

While my works have been all but ignored by the officers, they have been some of the most widely read posts on the board. If I am guilty of "Stockholm Syndrome," the evidence will be found there. Don't hold your breath.

No comments: