Wednesday, June 26, 2002

Why am I still a Catholic?

Father Bryce Sibley, proprietor of the weblog entitled A Saintly Salmagundi, gives a commentary on the priesthood, written by the late theologian Hans Urs von Balthasar, in the latter's book Eludications. One of my favorite passages from any book ever written appears elsewhere in the same volume, where von Balthasar answers the question as to why he remains in the Church. It seems a very timely explanation, given the current situation:

"Because it is the only chance to escape from oneself, from this curse of one's importance, of one's own gravity, from the role which is identified with my own person, so that if I lost my role I would end up falling in love with my person: to escape from all this without becoming estranged from man, because God has become man, not in a vacuum but in the community of the Church. I do not doubt for a moment that God's incarnation is intended for all men and that he is sufficiently God in order to reach all whom he will. But he has set up, in the middle of the history of humanity with all its terrors and hells, a marriage bed, splendid and untouchable -- it is portrayed in the Song of Songs -- and even the endless problems of the Church cannot create a fog so thick that it cannot from time to time be penetrated by the light of love which shines from the saints: a love which is naive, which cannot be taken over and built into any program.

"There are vocations in which men are called into the sphere of the fire. They always demand the whole person. Those who have said 'no' remain marked. They burn, but they become cynical and destructive, they smell each other out and hold together. It makes no matter whether they officially leave the Church or remain within her. Anyone with some facility for discerning spirits can recognize them.

"It is up to me, up to us, to see that the Church comes closer to that which in reality she is."


I have been known to give the shorter explanation:

"Because I have nowhere else to go."

No comments: