Wednesday, June 26, 2002

Random Thoughts on Community

The other day, Summa Contra Mundum posted these thoughts on the misappropriation of the term "community:"

"I was sitting at daily mass this morning when during the intercessions, the priest asked that we pray for our faith community. This word 'community' has become very common in recent years, almost to the point of being devoid of meaning... For example, at mass this morning the only thing I had in common with the other people there was that I attended daily mass today. We don't even know each other..."

In more than twenty years of living in the DC area, I still feel like I'm from out of town. I'm lucky if my best friends here return my calls within a few days. The city seems plauged by an overwhelming sense of self-importance. Or maybe we're all just too damn busy trying to run the world. In any case, I'm afraid Harry Truman may have been right when he said: "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

About two years ago, I found some respite from the situation, when I discovered Baltimore. Now, I always knew it was there, mind you. But it didn't occur to me until then, that a real city with real people was within reach. One night, a bunch of us were leaving a dance at one of the watering holes by the Bay, heading a few blocks over for a bite to eat. I could overhear a few of them talking about growing up Catholic in Baltimore. It was then that I experienced an epiphany: This is just like being back in Cincinnati. That's when I knew I had found a new home.

It became clearer to me earlier this month, when I returned to Ohio for my parents' golden wedding anniversary. My first night back, I started feeling homesick. But for the first time, I wasn't homesick for Cincinnati, but for Baltimore.

In later entries, I will speak more about issues of community-building, including a practical remedy. I'll also have a few things to say about that anniversary. (I hope Mom and Dad have a sense of humor. I had to get mine from somewhere.)

No comments: