Friday, August 02, 2002

Caring and Sharing in Action

Yesterday's account entitled My Charismatic Moment, was posted today on the message board of the Boston-based Voice of the Faithful. It warranted this response, from some doddering old fool identified only as "grandpaw7":

"I suppose that by "would-be 'reformers'" David means VOTF, though I am always inclined to question the propriety of speaking by innuendo instead of saying what you really mean. Was it the Holy Spirit who told David that these reformers were blissfully ignoring God? Where does he come by this inside information? Could it be that the Holy Spirit has blessed David with psychic powers? Or could it be that David is just blowing smoke?

"I have a healthy skepticism toward those who claim the Holy Spirit singled them out for special treatment to the exclusion of thousands of others. To say the Holy Spirit came to David's rescue is to say the Holy Spirit abandoned thousands of others to a different fate. I view it as part of the great mystery, as part of the ineffability of God, something we cannot explain by saying God singled me out for special treatment."


Nowhere did I claim to know why I was singled out to be spared any worse fate than another. And yet, in their excessive zeal to censor any posts critical of either their agenda or various policy decisions, the vanguards of compassion currently in charge of the VOTF discussion group, have absolutely no problem tolerating such callous remarks, in the face of a young man's traumatic experiences. (As this is written, the old coot is still defending his position.)

Now I know how Norma McCorvey must have felt.

No comments: