Friday, August 09, 2002

So, what's the Deal here?

Chris Hart reports that Deal Hudson of Crisis Magazine is about to give us the low-down with the VOTF. Wonder what they could have learned that some of us didn't while slugging it out in the trenches of the VOTF message board for two months. Hmmm...

Meanwhile, upon hearing reports of the latest statement by Governor Keating, Deal wants to know: "Can anybody tell me why withholding money from your parish is a 'mortal sin?' That's a new one to me!" Well, Deal, you have these six precepts of the Church, see? One of them says something about supporting your local Church. It's right there in the Catechism.

Now that we've established that, let's take another look. Are Catholics obliged to give when they are uncertain as to where the money is going? Are they obliged when it is not "the Church" that is being supported by their weekly giving? Ahhh, there's the rub!

For my part, I've been selective about my charitable giving for some time now. A percentage of my annual income goes to the direct support of my parish school. Over the years, I have also given to a select number of Catholic colleges, and at least one order of priests.

Any bishop who has a problem with this can kiss my ring!

No comments: