Friday, August 16, 2002

Contrary Mary Revisited

Tim Drake, who knows when his chain is being yanked, responds to my comment regarding the statue of the Blessed Mother at the new LA Cathedral (see previous day's entry):

"I will concede, however, that he does have a point regarding the lips. I grant that they may very well be the lips of one from the Holy Land. However, I'd have to part company with the hairdo and the androgynous look of Mary. I find it very uninspiring."

"Androgynous"?

Maybe it's just our different tastes in women, Tim. Not to engage in impure thoughts (easily confused with being "inspiring"), but my preference in representations of the female, tends toward those with a discernable chest. Compare the example in question with the typical statue of Our Lady of Grace purchased at any Catholic supply store.

(And don't ask me to defend the hairdo; too artificially treated to be pure African.)

No comments: