Monday, April 21, 2003

Bright (???) Monday

After a sunny and mild Easter Sunday, the Monday following is a proverbial cloudy one.

I spent the midday of Good Friday at Old St Mary's in downtown DC, commemorating the Death on the Cross. It seems Father Conway wasn't up to carrying the cross down the aisle himself, so the job fell to me, along with singing the proclamation:

"This is the wood of the cross, on which hung the Savior of the world."

I wasn't too shabby, if I do say so myself.

Saturday was spent preparing my Easter basket, an annual ritual held over from my earlier life being married to a Byzantine Catholic. That evening, a friend and I went to see Donna the Buffalo at the State Theatre in Falls Church. A good time was had by all.

Come Sunday morning, I brought my basket full of ham, cheese, Easter bread, goat's milk butter, and eggs, to St Mary's that morning. After being blessed by the deacon, I engaged in my annual ritual of sharing the good with the children who gathered in the church basement for the coffee hour. I visited the All Saints Sisters in Catonsville that afternoon, where I dropped off a basket for them. The rest of the day was without incident.

And now, Kathy Shaidle is calling for a moratorium on quoting certain writers of note. Personally, I would just as soon quote Mark Shea, especially now that he is back in the blogosphere.

No comments: