Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Philly

Last night I headed up to the "City of Sisterly Love." Now, driving three hours for a three hour house party doesn't sound like it's worth it -- unless, of course, you get to play with the band. That's part of it anyway. That, and the dance crowd in Philly. Once more, L'il Malcolm was in good form, and I learned a few more tricks about playing with a band. (And to whoever it was who suggested I could accomplish the same by playing along with a CD, who are you trying to kid?) As hard as it is to believe, I drove back to DC after the dance. I went for part of the route on US 40, to avoid the trucks, and stop at an all-night diner for a very early breakfast.

Ah, life on the road.

Maybe I'll stay home tonight, I dunno yet. There's dancing for the next five nights. I should rest up maybe.

Or maybe...

Go for a walk!

The 900 block of North Cleveland Street in Arlington, was the last block in the neighborhood to get sidewalks, just last year. This after a petition drive five years earlier spearheaded by my landlady. According to this report in today's USA Today, others aren't so lucky:

"Why don't Americans walk anywhere?

"Old answer: They're lazy.

"New answer: They can't.

"There is no sidewalk outside the front door, school is 5 miles away, and there's a six-lane highway between home and the supermarket."


We saw this coming, you know? Remember watching The Jetsons when we were kids?

Uh-huh. My point exactly.

No comments: