Friday, April 04, 2003

Word from yo' mama!

The following was posted yesterday by Rod Dreher on National Review Online's The Corner. I can't do the exact link because it didn't work -- sort of like mine don't work.

"From the mailbag. Go, Mama, go!

"'I'm writing to relay a story from my mother-in-law who lives in El Paso, Texas.  As you might know El Paso is home to Fort Bliss where some of our POW's were stationed.  Well due to the shortage of priests at my mother-in-law's church, the Bishop came to give the Mass.  In his homily he spoke about the evil of abortion, euthanasia and the killing of innocents.  Then he related abortion and euthanasia to our soldiers in Iraq killing innocent women and children.  He ranted for about five minutes on the evil our soldiers were committing, all the while my mother-in-law says she was so shocked and angry that tears were coming.  Finally an older lady in the first few rows, rose and pointed a finger at the bishop and told him he should be ashamed of himself.  She said her son was serving in Iraq and was not evil and said she was proud that he was sacrificing his life so that others could be free.  With that she left her pew and walked out of the church.  To my mother-in-law's surprise and joy, parishioners started clapping as she walked out.  My mother-in-law says she clapped too.  The Bishop was so shocked that it took him a while to compose himself and when he did rambled an apology that his intention was not to offend anyone.  My mother-in-law, a devout Catholic, no longer respects her bishop.

"'Just wanted to relay this story to you.  Fortunately for me, my parish prays for our soldiers and we've been closing mass with America the Beautiful.'"


Later in the day, Dreher posted this apology:

"Earlier today, I posted a letter from a reader who reported that the Bishop of El Paso had attacked US troops in his Sunday sermon, and that the mother of a soldier let him have it. A few minutes ago, The Corner heard from a reader who contacted the El Paso chancery to complain, and was told that the Bishop hadn't made the offensive sermon, that a religious order priest had done so. The bishop, the second reader was told, has always supported the troops.

"I owe the bishop an apology...."


Fair enough.

No comments: