Thursday, June 07, 2007

School Days

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm wrapping up things at the Art Institute this week. I expect my performance this quarter will be rated average. It'll drag down my GPA a bit (currently at 3.7), but it's been a disappointment all around anyway. Things in web design/development have changed so much in the last three years (a subject covered in "Got Style?") that I've spent more effort getting caught up than on JavaScript itself. Someday I'll actually get the hang of the latter. I could choose to continue my studies into the summer quarter, but I always take that time off. I use it to do the things I can't do when I'm in school -- things like, oh, buy a house, fix up the house, maybe take a vacation from the house.

Of course, my being away for that time will work out fabulously for one student who's starting out that quarter. Paul has also been accepted into the Art Institute, and will major in Game Art and Design.

Now, a lot of people have a mistaken impression of the field, assuming it is devoted entirely to mind-numbing entertainment for aging adolescent males. In the current state of affairs, that is more true than false. But it is changing, as other possibilities for interactive media emerge in the mainstream.

One example crossed my desk recently. An architect wanted consultation on hiring a web design firm. He wanted to create an interactive site that would help a client use available options to outfit an interior office space as an efficient workplace, using principles developed as part of "sustainable design." That's the buzz word these days, and both a Flash-based and CAD-based environment would facilitate that. Problem is, most web design firms are not equipped to create such a three-dimensional environment with CAD, and would probably subcontract a segment of the project to a game design or architectural firm. That's probably why the initial bids went through the roof.

We'll have to stay tuned on that one.
.

No comments: