Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Miscellany

If you look over at the right sidebar, you will see a feature that replaces the stained-glass window, between "The Usual Suspects" and "My Front Pages." This is the "news ticker" from LifeSiteNews.com, which will be giving up-to-the-minute reports from the prolife front. We can safely say that, in the current political climate, there will be more such developments. With groups like Planned Parenthood getting Federal dollars, despite its clinics breaking laws in several States, "His judgment cometh, and that right soon."

+  +  +

I want to thank all the people who comment regularly here, with a special welcome to readers of Creative Minority Report and its spinoff, Creative Minority Reader. There is a reason the latter is the only blog I have listed at "The Usual Suspects." This is not to take away from many other fine bloggers whose work I read, but CMR is in a category of its own, for reasons that have been explained here before.

+  +  +

I don't write this material during office hours, except during lunch, or at the end of the day before I leave. There is also a considerable amount that is prepared several days, even weeks in advance. I say this to avoid the impression that your tax dollars are going into this effort. They are not. The time that is listed at the bottom of each post, is the time of its publication. As I said before, it is often prepared in advance for release at a pre-determined time.

+  +  +

Some of my work, while of some social import, is not for everyone. Content warnings are based less upon this writer's sensibilities, than those of the target audience. This includes people who wouldn't be caught dead watching Marilyn Manson. Aside from curiosity, I find his whole schtick to be nothing more than that. Alice Cooper was the same way, an ordinary family man, when he wasn't handling giant snakes on stage.

+  +  +

Some time ago, I had a run-in with a self-identified "Catholic blogger" of considerable notoriety, but who is not at all who they pretend to be. Rather than make a public issue of it, I decided to allow events to run their course, and let this individual be found out for themselves. When it comes down to it, none of us are who we pretend to be, or we would not require the Sacrament of Penance (and yes, I still call it that). Then again, some of us don't seem to mind. By the grace of God, let me never be that way.

+  +  +

There will be more pieces devoted to music in the months ahead, specifically guitar playing. There are at least two workshops in development already, showing how to play the kind of stuff that was my stock and trade when I was playing more often than I do now. By this time next year, I will probably be playing a lot more often. I wish I had two or three sidemen to play with. In my experience, they tend not to simply fall in your lap, so I'll have to beat the bushes for them.

+  +  +

There will soon be photos of Holy Week here on this site, as celebrated at St John the Beloved in McLean, Virginia. I don't write of the experience much, since it puts me in a position to speak for others. But my work at re-introducing the Traditional Mass to northern Virginia has been a high point in my life. I work with a fine group of priests, and an outstanding assembly of young men who serve them.

+  +  +

Well, that oughta do it for now. Stay tuned, and stay in touch.
.

No comments: