Saturday, December 19, 2009

Who’s dreaming of a white Christmas NOW?

It's reasonable to say that "Sal" had no experience with snow until she left the Philippines. So when we got a foot of it overnight on the East Coast, it was little more than a unique opportunity to get some mileage out of her Facebook page. (She won't let me be her Facebook friend. Who can explain a woman anyway?) Of her three daughters, two of them have been professional models, a talent they undoubtedly learned from their mother.

Now, I ask you; does this look like someone who has a care in the world, like how they're going to dig a car out from under this, as opposed to sweet-talking a certain sap of a gentleman into the task?

Nah, didn't think so.

That's only the least of reasons why I should have been better prepared for this -- you know, digging out the stuff from underneath other stuff that you just know you're gonna need when there's a blizzard. Things like the window scraper for the car, and the snow shovel for underneath the wheels, not to mention the sidewalk. I have them somewhere, underneath stuff I don't particularly need as much as ... well, the stuff that's underneath.

Not only that, but I really believe I could take on these roads today, except for two things: the ability to pull my car out of its parking space, and the ability to have it reserved for me when I get back. Then again, I just got this notice from the County:

Conditions are deteriorating rapidly. Visibility is extremely poor. MetroRail going to underground operations only starting at 1:00 PM. MetroBus and MetroAccess service is being stopped. USE CAUTION: Pedestrians walking in the middle of streets cannot be seen by drivers ... Roads are treacherous; conditions are worsening. Arlington County and School facilities are closed on Saturday and Sunday. All ART, Metro Bus and above ground Metro rail service suspended at 1:00 pm today until further notice.

And speaking of which, take a good look at the parol in the photo, because the next time you see it here at Chez Alexandre will be on the front door. I woke up this morning to find it swaying in the "10 to 20 mph winds with gusts of up to 30 mph" about which I was warned the night before.

I was hoping to take some packages to the post office today, but that was out of the question. It's a good thing I'm dealing with people who believe Christmas lasts for twelve days. And with that, we come to another advantage of not getting the holiday over with: Contingencies. People spend over a month getting themselves all worked up (you know, like someone in your house is probably doing right now) over making one day out of the year absolutely perfect. Leave it to weather like this, to convince the rest of you that I was right all along.

When I lived in Georgetown in the early 1990s, I was six blocks from the parish where I worked as a sacristan. On a weekend like the one we're having now, I also filled in as acolyte and reader for the whole morning. Later that day, the traffic at Wisconsin and M came to a halt, as I ran downhill across the street, pulling a sled with a seven-year-old boy in tow. Closer to the present, I spoke to the pastor on the phone. Only a Low Mass at St John's tomorrow, if at all, so I've been relieved for the day. (If you live in the archdioceses of either Baltimore or Washington, you're already off the hook for the Fourth Sunday of Advent.)

So today will be spent wrapping presents, and with the time that's left, looking for that snow shovel. We'll order a pizza, probably watch some "chick movie" like "The Proposal" starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds.

Until things clear up just a little, maybe there's at least one reason to celebrate. I'm the one on the right.

1 comment:

Patricia Drybala said...

What a great photo of you and "Sal." I've saved it to my laptop so I can share it with "Ma & Pa" ... your kid sis, Pat