Thursday, January 15, 2004

Eventide

I'm the last out of the office tonight. That's what happens when you're the last in the office in the morning. On the internet radio, some country boy (I think it's Mark Wills, I dunno, they're all starting to look alike to me these days) is singing about how he's "just a singer in a band," and then talks about the real heroes in life. You go, boy! I always figured early January to be anticlimatic, and the cold weather not helping much. This time, though, it's been a lot different. I've been making new friends all over the place. Come the weekend, it helps being a guy who knows how to dance.

"Abide with me: fast falls the eventide;
the darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide:
when other helpers fail and comforts flee,
help of the helpless, O abide with me."


My comments on a controversy, such as the one covered earlier this week, usually don't generate much reaction from my peers. I was flattered that a few of them noticed -- including one who usually doesn't. Thanks for listening, guys.

"I need thy presence every passing hour;
what but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me."


And yet, amidst the good spirits, I am troubled by the recent accident involving Father Groeschel. There have been many nights when I have hung on every recorded word of his, when I was experiencing the "dark night of the soul." I wish I could share some of this with some of the friars. But they're asking us not to call. I suppose they'd be inundated with well-wishers if they didn't draw the line. Then they couldn't get anything done that makes them worth calling in the first place. But despite a history of heart trouble, I hope he pulls through this one, even if it does take a miracle. And yet, none of us are here forever. And those of us who know of him, and who love him, are surely asking ourselves at this moment: "Who would take his place?"

"I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;
ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's dark sting? where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me."


Tomorrow night I'll go dancing. And there's a lot of dancing to look forward to this weekend. The zydeco crowd in Baltimore is coming out of hibernation -- finally! -- and wouldn't you know, I'm actually starting to miss some of them. (Just kidding, guys!) So this should be really great.

"Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes;
shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies;
heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me."

No comments: