Thursday, January 29, 2004

"It's a nice day for a white wedding."

I woke up this morning, with the sun shining and the snow on the ground. I could have sworn I heard the announcer on Classical 103.5 say the above. Eat your heart out, Billy Idol.

Yesterday was the feast (reformed Roman Calendar) of one of my favorite saints, Thomas Aquinas. The work and example of "The Angelic Doctor" is considered to this day, as the benchmark of classical Catholic theology and philosophy.

But don't take my word for it. Consider yesterday's entries at Disputations; How to study and Lord, make me a humble idiot.

Not bad, huh?

When I was a boy, I learned to be a Thomist at the dinner table, with the old man teaching us such priceless gems as "Everything you do in life is either a plus or a minus," while engaging us in Socratic debate -- a regular baptism by fire if you're a teenager. I mean, it's not as if he had to settle for "because I said so." It was "because you can't say anything better." Whatever the man's faults (and there were only a few), it was that ability to engage that formed my intellect to making me the man I am today. Thanks Dad.

No comments: