Tuesday, January 27, 2004

"I really can't stay (baby, it's cold outside)..."

I was out yesterday. Eight inches of snow and the whole town is in turmoil. So the morning newscast gives us all the closings and delays, every last one of them, before giving us the one answer to the one question most of us in the DC area need to know above all else: WHAT ABOUT THE FEDS???

Turns out it was just "unscheduled leave," which is one step removed from "liberal leave," two steps removed from "essential personnel only." Knowing how long I'd be stuck underground waiting for Metrorail to finish stumbling all over itself, I bagged it for the day. I did manage to get into the office today, though. Of course, with the half-hour-plus delay of Metrorail, it would have been faster to walk the three miles from home to office. I have to go to the DMV tomorrow to replace my misplaced vehicle registration. (My guess is those pinheads at the last body shop I was at in December decided to, uh, borrow it for something and didn't put it back.) Then I've gotta get my vehicle inspected before the end of the month. I finally got a hold of a live human being at the DMV in Richmond, who told me I didn't need my registration to get my vehicle inspected. Whew, that was close!

It does underscore the value of talking giving poor slobs like me an alternative to push-button phone menus and those annoying... what's that? Hey, now they're telling us to leave three hours early. "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

I still don't know if swing dance class is on tonight or not. I don't wanna lose what little touch I have.

No comments: