Friday, July 22, 2005

"Goin' to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come..."

When I read the latest post at Dappled Things, I suddenly got the urge to break into a Broadway show tune:
Ev'rythin's up to date in Kansas City
They've gone about as fur as they c'n go!
They went and built a skyscraper seven stories high
About as high as a buildin' oughta grow
Ev'rythin's like a dream in Kansas City
It's better than a magic lantern show!
Y' c'n turn the radiator on whenever you want some heat
With ev'ry kind o' comfort ev'ry house is all complete
You c'n walk to privies in the rain and never wet your feet!
They've gone about as fur as they c'n go


-- from the musical Oklahoma by Rogers and Hammerstein
Oh, what a beautiful mornin.'

1 comment:

Mr. Nixter said...

Went to Kansas City myself a few years ago; in fact, I thinkit was '85 when the A's won the World Series.

Pretty city. But, when I went to a festival or something out in the suburbs, I could NOT believe the heat. I guess as a resident of the East coast, I somehow got used to the intense humidity we complain about. The intense sun, beating down on me like a livery mate's hammer on an anvil, effectively beat me into submission & I ran like a cockroach caught on a countertop when the ceiling light's turned on (another euphenism hopefully not indigenous to my environs alone) for the shade.

And now that I'm in the same general age bracket as the host of this blog (check out Dave's bio), I realize that heat + me do not mix. Period.