Thursday, June 14, 2012

Paying Respects

I made a two-day trip out of it, stopping at the usual half-way point of Washington, Pennsylvania, a city just 25 miles southwest of Pittsburgh. Interstates 70 and 71 in Ohio had a few surprises in the form of road work, but yours truly made it from Washington PA to Cin City in less than five hours.

One of the things you learn, is the ugly truth behind "free wi-fi" at hotels. They'll all but admit you get what you pay for. I couldn't very well do any serious production work, nor upload videos onto a server for review, with the wireless connection in most hotels. The place where I stayed even recommended one part of the building over another for a quality signal. I don't see this changing within the lodging industry much until mid-decade, by which time enough people traveling strictly on business complain that a presentation or a time-critical submission was squelched by a lost or weak signal.

When I arrived, one of my first stops was to see Dad at his current location, namely Gate of Heaven Cemetery, for my first visit since the marker was laid. It was not hard to find in relation to the entrance, and faces the rising sun from a gentle slope of the hill. With no one around to point at me or anything, I stood watch over the grave and sang all but the second of the verses to “Abide With Me” by Henry Francis Lyte.

For what it's worth, my parents were married sixty years ago today. Mom was already taken to the gravesite, her first visit since the marker was laid as well. For the next few days, I'm at my brother's place in Montgomery, a suburban enclave to the northeast of the city. It's time to kick off my feet and raid the liquor cabinet before I enjoy the synicated reruns on high-end cable.
 

No comments: