Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Behind the Biretta

I got wind of this from a priest-friend of mine, one who travels and lectures all over the country. It has also been covered at WDTPRS. Father John Trigilio is president of the Confraternity of Catholic Clergy. He comments on the publication of a recent book.

Recently, I attended a symposium on the priesthood at Catholic University of America. The keynote speaker was Msgr. Stephen Rossetti. He spoke on the data he included in his recent book “Why Priests Are Happy: A study of the psychological and spiritual health of priests.” The evidence speaks for itself. Most priests are in fact happy BEING priests. A few, in fact a very small minority, are unhappy and regret making promises … Where I take variance with Monsignor Rossetti is that while most priests are happy being priests, which includes celibacy and obedience, not all enjoy how priests are treated ...

Personally, I don't get to see priests being mistreated all that much, at least not at the parish level. Maybe it's just my part of the country, I don't know. (The diocesan level is something else again.) I suspect that Father Z will hear from any number of them, don't you think?

Or don't you?
 

No comments: