Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Men Who Would Be King

I did not attend either of the rallies in Washington yesterday. I suspect I'd feel more at home with the one near the Lincoln Memorial, at the “Restoring Honor” rally. Yes, Glenn Beck is capable of making somewhat of a spectacle of himself. But I suspect he's the first to admit it, thus rendering him quite humble about it. On the other hand, I could not say this about the Reverend Al Sharpton, the proof being in the charge that Beck is trying to hijack "the dream" as proclaimed in the speech at that Memorial on that day 37 years earlier. If we were to ask the niece of the late Dr Martin Luther King, namely Dr Alvada King, I know where we would be likely to find her.

I am speaking at the Glenn Beck Rally about faith, hope, love and honor. The NAACP and some other African Americans are saying that Alveda King is hijacking the dream of Martin Luther King, Jr. I am saying that as Dr. King’s blood relative, I have a dream, it’s in my genes. How can I hijack myself?

I do not remember if it was George Washington Carver, or Booker T Washington, who warned of the danger that some civil rights leaders, their goals having been achieved, being more inclined to prolong the appearance of the struggle, for their own continued benefit. Were I to remember which one spoke this warning, I would quote them here. Were they still alive today, I do not doubt which event they would have attended.
.

6 comments:

11onmyown.com said...

Glenn Beck supports gay marriage and MLK was a notorious adulterer. My tolerance level lately is at an all-time low.

David L Alexander said...

Miss 11:

Refer to "capable of making a spectacle of himself," above.

And just so we're sure of what we're talking about, refer also to the definition of the word. Please click here.

Discuss.

11onmyown.com said...

Not tolerance as in: I'm OK, you're OK, tolerance as in: I cannot tolerate jerks and cowards anymore.

David L Alexander said...

I stopped tolerating them long ago. Welcome to the club.

Dymphna said...

it was Booker T.

David L Alexander said...

Dymphna:

Hey, nice hearing from you again. Care to be more specific? I'm looking for the actual quote. I'd be looking for you at St John's, but you're still undercover. Hmmm ...