Saturday, March 06, 2010

Saturday Night at the YouTube

VIDEO: Copyright 1985 John Mellencamp under exclusive license to the Island Def Jam Music Group.

If my knee wasn't killing me right now, I'd be out runnin' around tonight. Then again, maybe I can save it up for Saint Paddy's Day weekend. Meanwhile, I'm watching something on Maryland Public Television called "T.A.M.I. Show: Rock n' Roll's First Concert Film" and I have no idea what T.A.M.I. means. But it's pretty cool watching The Beach Boys in the days before Brian Wilson spent the latter part of his life on every drug imaginable.

The first clip is "R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A. (A Salute To 60's Rock)" by John Mellencamp, who passes himself off as a creature of the American heartland, being from a small town in the middle of Indiana and all. Of course, if you've ever been to Bloomington (and I have more than once), not only do you find out it's a college town, it's not that small, and it's a long-time mecca for the avant-garde, including aging hippies who would get lost in a cornfield if they ever got near one. I totally love this guy's music, but I totally don't buy the schtick.

VIDEO: Copyright 1987 John Mellencamp under exclusive license to the Island Def Jam Music Group.

Besides, nobody from Mom's side of the family ever got a dime from Farm Aid, okay? Get over yourself, poster boy!

Nevertheless, the artist formerly known as Johnny Cougar (heh!) did take the time out from changing his name, to enable the embedding of most if not all of his videos, including one of my all-time favorites, "Paper In Fire". We'll give the guy a Tip of the Black Hat for allowing us riff-raff to provide him with free advertising, and show the proper attributions.

(He does have a point about the Sixties, though. At least the middle part, like 1964 to 1967, roughly. Anyone remember the old WSAI?
.

No comments: