Friday, May 07, 2010

FAMW: Ode to Mama

Mother's Day is this Sunday.

Obviously I plan to call my mother this Sunday. Not that they would have anything special planned back home.

Mom isn't what you'd call the sentimental type. When I graduated from college, my brother and sister went with me. When we got back to my Aunt's house, Mom greeted me at the door with a hug and a kiss. Not too sensational, except I never remembered her doing that before.

Mom showed her love differently than most. In fact, she has a heart as big as the great outdoors, and was always able to find a special ingredient around the house that was just right for a school project. My first year in college, she made me a portfolio case. It was assembled from poster board, with a wooden frame, covered with genuine simulated pebble-grained leather, with matching handles for carrying, metal clasps for closure, and loops at each end for holding a tee-square. I had classmates wanting to pay her to make them one. But oh, no, not this boy's Mom. This was a special limited edition piece of hardware. And it wasn't cheap, either. It lasted me through five years of college, and into my career. I still have it.

Then again, she's a bit cantankerous, has aches and pains she hasn't counted yet, and still takes care of my Dad even though she goes from a cane to a wheelchair, depending on how she's doing. (She has a lot of help from my brother and two sisters, but everyone knows who's in charge.) Half the time when I call her she acts as if I called at the worst possible time on purpose. Sometimes she's right. But I wouldn't have her any other way. It's not like I have a choice, as she's obviously stuck with me too. And she lets me give her a hug and a kiss whenever I come to visit. Wow.

So, here's a little boy's tribute to a very special Mom, one that I stole from Faith & Family Live when my Close and Personal Friend Danielle Bean wasn't looking. All that trouble just for this week's Friday Afternoon Moment of Whimsy.
.

No comments: