Monday, May 10, 2010

Spring Cleaning Revisited

Yesterday, we began the subject of "spring cleaning" with a list of things in the world which some people believe we could all get along without. One in particular dealt with the subject of lawns. Ed Begley Jr, Emmy Award-nominated actor and the host of the television show "Living With Ed," says:

Nationally, it's estimated that 50 to 70 percent of residential water use goes toward landscaping, most of it to water lawns ... looking at one yard, this isn't a big deal, but nationwide, an estimated 20 to 30 million acres of land is covered by lawns.

He's absolutely right. One of the last things I ever wanted in a house I bought, is a big lawn. It's unproductive land, its greatest byproduct is pollen, and its greatest achievement is isolating you from your neighbors. That's three of the many reasons I'm attracted to townhouses, and in particular, my own neighborhood in southern Arlington.

I get asked from time to time, “Hey, Mister Black Hat Guy, I want to live the agrarian-Catholic-Chesterbelloc-counter-cultural-distributist-homeschooling lifestyle, but I've got a wife and seven kids to worry about, and I need to be near my miserable excuse for a job.” My first reaction is, what, only seven? Then I suggest they bloom where they're planted.

Ryan Mitchell of The Tiny Life found Jules, Justin, Anais, and Jordanne Dervaes in Pasadena, California. They have a solution for you back-to-the-landers stuck in the city. Take a look at the video clip, and watch the transformation begin between 2:25 and 2:30.

Then go to their website: http://urbanhomestead.org

Tomorrow, we'll go over the other items on the List of Twelve Things The World Could Do Without, and find out how well (or how badly) our parade of prognosticators did.
.

No comments: