Friday, July 29, 2011

1 Peter 5: 8-9

There will be no Whimsy today. I am asking for the prayers of my readership, for a special intention. To believe in the reality of the Evil One, and his presence in the world, is to accept the prospect that, at any one time, he will target you for his own nefarious purposes. I am convinced he is targeting me; through my job, in my home, and in the midst of those dear to me. It has been building for a while now, but has lately reached the point beyond human hope.

“Be sober, be watchful! For your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goes about seeking someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith.”

My weapons include the Psalms, the prayer book written by my namesake, and handed down as the official prayer of Mother Church. One of my favorites is the one used by General George Patton, as seen in the 1970 movie bearing his name which starred George C Scott.

O GOD, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.

Because thy loving kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:

When I remember thee upon my bed and meditate on thee in the night watches.

Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.

My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.

But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.

They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.

But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.
-- Psalm 62(63)


I have a rosary with me at all times. I pray it more often these days. I also have all the advice I need. What I need, dear reader, is your prayers. A decade of the rosary. An Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be. Whatever you can squeeze in five minutes.

Thanks.
 

4 comments:

Paul Croarkin said...

On the way. Hang in there.

Burton said...

Hardcore brother - 5 decades - do me the same.

Anonymous said...

St. Michael, the Archangel, defend David in battle. Be his protection against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray and do thou, O prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell, Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Gail F said...

Why are so many bloggers saying similar things right now?

Praying for you!