Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fifty Questions: 21-30

Our series of questions this week for Presidential debates, as formulated by Chris Sullivan of Different Bugle, heads over the midweek hump with the third set of ten questions.

+    +    +

21. Hawaii has a large secessionist movement. Do you support Hawaii's right to self-determination?

A number of states have secessionist movements, some being more active than others. My answer in the case of Hawai'i is the same as for the others. See my answer to question 12.

22. Do you support and would you continue the War On Drugs?

First of all, we are losing that war. Aside from securing our borders, which is the least any nation can do for itself, I would leave it to the several States to determine the legality of substances such as marijuana, be it for medical or recreational use. Prohibition did not work the last time we tried it, although my Great-grandmother Alexander ran quite an enterprise at the farmhouse with a certain by-product of corn. Alas, that is a story for another day. Considering that I have no experience even with marijuana -- you heard it right, America; not even in college, not even once -- I would be forced to take the matter as a whole under advisement.

23.(a.) Can you explain the difference between a war, conflict, police action, and kinetic military action?

Yes. A war is declared by Congress. The others are not. In my administration, Americans would learn the difference. I would be subject to The War Powers Act, and would only engage the Nation's armed forces if the Nation's defense were dependent upon it, and for an extended period of time with the approval of the Congress.

(b.) Are there other types of military actions other than these?

Yes, I can think of one, but if I tell you once I am President, I would have to kill you. (Hey, just kidding.)

24. Do you support government control of schooling?

I believe you mean "regulate" as opposed to "control." Very well, then. At the federal level, no, which is why I would propose to the Congress that we eliminate the Department of Education. At the state level, yes, inasmuch as the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution grants them that prerogative. Let the teachers' unions make their case where, in the words of Thomas O'Neill, "all politics is local."

25. In your opinion, who was the worst president, and why?

I should first say that my answer does not include the current President, as his term is not completed, therefore impeding a fair assessment. That said, there were several Presidents who could be considered to have performed poorly in office. If I had to choose one, it would be Warren G Harding, as he had the good sense to admit to his intimates that he should never have been elected in the first place. As he was there at the time and I was not, who am I to argue with him?

26. In your opinion, who was the best president, and why?

The first one, as George Washington set the tone for the role of the Presidency with the proper dignity and humility as has come to befit the office -- ostensibly.

27. In your opinion, what was the worst decision by the Supreme Court?

I have two answers, as they are very close. The first is
Roe v Wade, as a right to privacy per se is found nowhere in the Constitution, to say nothing of its usurpation of the rights of states on the matter in question, and basis upon that which has been subsequently determined to be false testimony. Running a close second would be Kelo v City of New London. If a republic can lay claim to a man's private property for the sole benefit of another man's personal profit, as opposed to genuine public interest as is the pretense for rights of imminent domain, it ceases to be a republic by any known definition, and becomes a dictatorship. That said, if nominated for Dictator, I will not run, and if elected, I will not serve.

28. Do you support government control of the internet?

I support government
regulation of interstate commerce, as does the Constitution. Beyond that, I would leave the internet alone to regulate itself.

29. Do you support turning airline security over to the airlines?

The skies are owned by the people as held in public trust, but the airlines are owned privately. The former would hold the latter accountable, through their duly elected officials, rather than assume the task themselves. This would exclude any violations of the Fourth Amendment concerning unreasonable search and seizure.

30. How can anyone be said to be free when the government has a prior claim on all he earns?

One cannot be said to be free under those conditions, which would explain my answers to questions 16, 17, and 18.

+    +    +

Tomorrow, this writer is guaranteed to live even more dangerously. (Hey, you still with me?)

[Questions are the intellectual property of their author, and are reproduced here without permission or shame.]
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I have to take issue with one of your answers. The Constitution does not give the federal government the right to control interstate commerce, but the right to regulate interstate commerce (as in "make regular"). That means there is one set of rules that states follow when dealing with each other with the feds playing "referee". So New York could not have a trade embargo against New Jersey and have a "free trade agreement" with Pennsylvania.

David L Alexander said...

Tony:

Did I say control? I meant "regulate," so I changed it. It's my blog; I can do that. You're a pal. Thanks.

DLA