Monday, July 11, 2011

Wake me when the persecution is over!

Michael Voris reports on the passage of the law in New York which legalizes same-sex "marriages," as well as the lack of testicular fortitude demonstrated by the Catholic bishops of the state of New York, and in particlar, that candy-@$$ who hasn't had a bad meal since he got to wear the pointy-hat Archbishop Dolan of the CITY of New York. Voris contends that a slippery slope is to follow, as any institution, even the Church, will not be safe from genuine persecution, once sodomy is perceived to be a "civil right."

Please note that we are confining ourselves to the acting out of unnatural sexual proclivities, not to the inclination thereof. The former is a matter of choice, just as even a husband and wife can choose whether to indulge the marital privilege on any given occasion. (Otherwise, why do you want the "right" to DO, as opposed to BE, that which you maintain you cannot control, thus for which you cannot assume any responsibility?) The latter may or may not be a choice. It doesn't matter.

In one sense, Michael has more to worry about than he may know. On the other, maybe not.

His primary audience is that of faithful Catholics, many of whom get a burr in their saddle if the local bishop doesn't drop everything and plant an oratory for the Traditional Mass and Sacraments at the end of their cul-de-sac. These are people who cry endlessly about the danger posed to the souls of their children, but are too comfortable to move to another city. (I mean, if it really is a choice between your immortal soul and your career track, what's stopping you?) These people are hardly ready to put up much of a fight, lest they attempt to pencil it into their already-busy schedules.

The point is, the milquetoasts I've just described are the hard-liners.

On the other hand, the statistics abound in the USA, which show that avowed homosexuals tend to occupy the upper income brackets. (I said "TEND to," you dumb-@$$! Pay attention!) We can conclude that most of them are pretty comfortable as well. And, sooner or later, to force acceptance of their lifestyle on the rest of society -- if they're anything like THIS intellectual giant, it's gonna be a long one -- is to force acceptance of the description of the act that permeates said lifestyle. Good luck keeping your lunch down after that one, folks.

While they're at it, they can explain how I'm supposed to be able to tell which one is the "husband" and which one is the "wife." In a heterosexual marriage, there are little clues like body parts and which one gets pregnant while the other cannot. Ever. Until they can work that out amongst themselves, they're in a real tough position to expect me to accept something they can't even explain.

What's more, they can also explain why their counterparts in California demonstrated against Proposition 6, by attacking Mormon churches, and not African-American churches. Why are they less afraid of Mormons than they are African-Americans? (Ever see Mormons try to pick a fight? Are drive-by shootings ever attributed, justly or unjustly, to Mormons? I rest my case.)

I've got a gay couple living around the corner from me. They're nice neighbors, and I don't get any trouble from them. I want to keep it that way; not out of any fear of them (and therefore not driven by "homophobia" as the term can only be understood), but because I like minding my own business. I know what I believe, and by the grace of God, I must be prepared to die for it. What I'm not willing to do, is get too excited too early in the game, let alone be bullied by any group that is too choosy as to where or with whom they pick their battles. I don't have to justify that position for anyone who wants the world to revolve around them and their household for their own convenience -- or for that matter, anyone else.

I'll save my live ammunition for when the real enemy uses theirs.

UPDATE: There's more where that came from, dear reader. Click here.
 

3 comments:

Dad29 said...

Abp Dolan had a less-than-sterling record in Milwaukee, too.

Credits? Yah, he fixed the Seminary--or at least moved a long way in that direction. Yah, he swatted--publicly--Dan Maguire, the Cancer of Marquette U.

But he also dumped, like a used Kleenex, Pro-Life Wisconsin (ALL affiliate) in favor of the "some abortions are not bad" crowd: RTL.

Oh, well. The Church perseveres.

Unknown said...

Your comment: 'These are people who cry endlessly about the danger posed to the souls of their children, but are too comfortable to move to another city. (I mean, if it really is a choice between your immortal soul and your career track, what's stopping you?) These people are hardly ready to put up much of a fight, lest they attempt to pencil it into their already-busy schedules.'
This comment is not only offensive but untrue. Most of the folks at our closest 'Latin Mass' parish are Michael Voris fans. I personally don't support everything he says. None the less, those Michael Voris fans are the majority of the Catholics I know that are willing to give up career, money, and success to serve God. Most are poor BECAUSE they will drive from 45 minutes to 2 hours to get to a very reverent 'Latin Mass' parish. All that I know with children have sacrificed one of their careers so that they can home school the children. I know only one family that moved to an area without a 'Traditional Latin' mass and this was because they had inherited a ranch. They still drive the two hours every couple of weeks to attend and on the other weeks they attend the local parish.
Another couple I know buy lunch for the whole congregation once a month yet they have 8 kids and their income is less then $20,000 per year.
These folks are in stark contrast to most of the Catholics in my own local Novus Ordo parish where I serve mass.

David L Alexander said...

Gary:

The comment is not meant to offend, but to provoke. Your response indicates its being effective, but not necessarily untrue.

As I have also stated in my piece "The Latin Mass: Why You Can't Have It," even many traditional Catholics don't want to wait very long, or go very far, for anything. They may travel two hours for a TLM, but some will go to the SSPX chapel if it's right down the street, never mind that the latter is out of communion with Rome.

FWIW, I used to travel for nearly an hour for a number of years, to attend a Byzantine Rite parish. This was before the TLM was widely available. Never minded it at all.

It is duly noted that we are dealing in generalities here, but that doesn't eliminate the possibility as I have described. You know your people, I know mine, and I stand by my telling of it.