Thursday, October 21, 2010

Colonoscopy

I couldn't think of a clever title, so I just came right out and said it.

When you're over fifty, there are certain preventive-maintenance procedures which your doctor recommends. I'm only running about five years late with this one, but after hearing all the stories, I ran out of excuses.

According to Wikipedia, a colonoscopy is:

... the endoscopic examination of the colon and the distal part of the small bowel with a CCD camera or a fiber optic camera on a flexible tube passed through the anus. It may provide a visual diagnosis (e.g. ulceration, polyps) and grants the opportunity for biopsy or removal of suspected lesions.

Now, if that doesn't satisfy you, the U S National Institutes of Health released NIH Publication Number 10–4331, which gives you the lowdown. Click here.

My procedure is tomorrow. If you don't have anything better to pray for ...
.

5 Comments:

At 10/21/2010 08:45:00 PM, Blogger cliff said...

I prefer a simple occult blood test. If that ever turns up positive, then a 3D cat scan.

 
At 10/22/2010 04:21:00 AM, OpenID stampedsentiments.com said...

Had to have one myself 4 years ago. The test itself is easy, it's the prep that's the worst of it (which by now you've had the pleasure to enjoy!) ... Your little sis

 
At 10/22/2010 07:56:00 AM, Blogger Rick said...

No problem. Will you post the pictures later?

 
At 10/22/2010 08:33:00 AM, Blogger David L Alexander said...

Rick:

How about a picture of me tonight, enjoying a large pizza with at least six toppings?

DWH:

Thank you for writing, but we like to stay more or less on topic around here. Otherwise, I'd mistake you for spam, and that would be bad.

 
At 10/22/2010 08:34:00 AM, Blogger David L Alexander said...

Cliff:

I'll be sure and ask about the blood test. Maybe for the next procedure in five to ten years. I'll still be here, of course.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home