Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Quest for Maps

Years ago, my family never took a trip out of state without one of those AAA "triptiks." The custom-designed segmented directions not only got you where you needed to go, but told you what hazards to avoid (road construction, bridges out, et cetera). Now we have MapQuest to tell us where an address is, and how to get from one to the other. I've used them myself to find a new destination. Most of the time they do the job.

Now there's a new and improved MapQuest, and this video tells you all about it. Notice how the new layout minimizes scrolling at the offset, for the emerging trend towards widescreen monitors. Thankfully, my Droid smartphone has an Google app called simply “Maps”. I can actually track my GPS location while I'm driving, as well as guidance from Point A to Point B at the same time. I may never get lost again.

One question, though. Will the new MapQuest show me where the Pennsylvania Turnpike continues to be in a constant state of repair?
.

No comments: