Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Much Ado About Twitter

It was a blast rediscovering Shakespeare that night. This writer was not alone. Items posted here are promoted on Facebook and Twitter, which over the past year has increased the readership of mwbh by an estimated 20 to 25 percent. Among our followers was someone who decided to stay in character.

@manwithblackhat Is the world as it was, man? (Measure for Measure: ACT III, Scene II)
Tue 26 Oct 20:30

@thebardbot ney, not as it was, but 'tis as it is.
Tue 26 Oct 21:28

It seems I had piqued the interest of one identified as "Ye Shakespeare Bot" who claims to hail from Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom. The unknown writer carries on similar conversations with many others. Or, as he would put it: “Thou mayst send me tweets, and I will fly my fair reply to thee.” And he had more to say.

@manwithblackhat Sparkles this stone as it was wont, or is't not Too dull for your good wearing? (Cymbeline: ACT II, SCENE IV)
Tue 26 Oct 21:30

@thebardbot well, my birthstone is the blue zircon, and if it's not too dull, i'll wear it. i also fancy an occasional garnet or gold topaz.
Tue 26 Oct 21:56

@manwithblackhat if industriously I play'd the fool, it was my negligence, Not weighing well the end; (The Winter's Tale: ACT I, SCENE II)
Tue 26 Oct 22:00

@thebardbot if by that you mean, don't start something you can't finish, yeah, that shakespeare guy had a keen grasp of human nature, eh?
Tue 26 Oct 22:12

@manwithblackhat But if you do, you'll make me wish a sin, That I had been forsworn. (The Merchant of Venice: ACT III, SCENE II)
Tue 26 Oct 22:15

@thebardbot well, that would depend on the thing being started, would it not? can a good thing remain unfinished?
Tue 26 Oct 22:42

@manwithblackhat if you would not, it were a good sign that I should quickly have a new father. (Macbeth: ACT IV, SCENE II)
Tue 26 Oct 22:45

@thebardbot really? i didn't even know we were related.
Tue 26 Oct 22:46

Of course, "all good things must come to an end" (English proverb attributed to Chaucer in 1374), and so I did.

@thebardbot good-night, sweet prince; and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. (hamlet, act v, scene ii).
Tue 26 Oct 22:52

@thebardbot parting is such sweet sorrow ... (romeo and juliet, act ii, scene ii) ... but it's never stopped me before. adieu. adieu.
Tue 26 Oct 22:56

Yes, I got a little inventive at the end, with a little something I coined myself some years ago. But our correspondent was not to be outdone.

@manwithblackhat Parting is such sweet sorrow, That I shall say good night till it be morrow. (Romeo And Juliet: ACT II, Scene II)
Tue 26 Oct 23:00

@manwithblackhat Good night, sweet prince, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest! (Hamlet: ACT V, Scene II)
Tue 26 Oct 23:00

@manwithblackhat And whether we shall meet again I know not. (Julius Caesar: ACT V, SCENE I)
Tue 26 Oct 23:00

(Hey, didn't he already cross the Rubicon by that point?)

And so we bid goodnight "till it be morrow." And since yesterday's tomorrow is today, here we are again.

UPDATE: I had this one coming ...

@manwithblackhat You had much ado to make his anchor hold; (The Winter's Tale: ACT I, SCENE II)
Wed 27 Oct 09:00

... didn't I?
.

No comments: